The most apt meaning for the word August are ‘inspiring’ and ‘to bring realization.’ They really do sum it up for me. The last month of winter when we are inspired by the thoughts of shedding drab wintry layers and the fresh awe-inspiring awakening of the natural world and then the realization that the merry months are well on their way. It is a month that we start seeing the light so to speak, the days start getting noticeably longer, brighter and lighter, and we dream about those long-forgotten picnic days. We may even have the first scary thoughts of the festive season.
For me August brings with it a certain buzz that’s hopeful and exciting. We plan and implement for the spring and summer and really start to focus on the upcoming festivities, just without the panic. There is still plenty of time left in the year to enjoy the whole process.
By now we seem to have settled into the year, 2017 is well set, so let’s just savour what it has to offer. I know from my own experience, my boys feel confident and grounded in this second half of the year, they know what to expect and start to really prosper and grow. I do believe as adults it has the same effect.
However, August is the one month of the year that I’m sure you would agree can give you a bit of a jolt, it seems to say ‘hey, only five months left, so wake up and smell the roses.”
Planning is key here, spending August if nothing else, thinking and planning the rest of the year is really all that’s important. With our busy lives, juggling work, children and families and balancing it all with special moments. We need this month to really get our heads around the hustle and bustle of the upcoming season. Being prepared does really work.
We all have a to-do list even if its just a mental one, but somehow time just seems to march straight on by and yet again we are left feeling hopeless and thinking “ it will have to be next year then.” So this year I’m certainly going to give it my best shot.
The top 10 things on my to-do list
- Prepare the Spring cleaning regime , house and garden - I mean top to bottom, paint touch ups, cleaning of carpets and blinds, drawers, cupboards - the whole tooty.
- Lists for packing away winter stuff - so often these things just hang around the house till next winter. This year they will be packed away!
- Making a homemade Christmas cake in time this year, I’m serious about this one.
- List of Christmas cards to post to overseas families and friends. I need a list of the postal addresses and a schedule from the post office for when to post them to reach their destination on time. It’s really means so much to receive a hand written Christmas, and sending a text just doesn’t match up.
- Making personalized gift sets , even home made ones, they mean so much when we receive them. Giving them just says you care.
- Start Christmas shopping (food and gifts) early to ease the budget.
- Planning year end parties well in advance to relieve the stress.
- Making pre-prepared meals so we can enjoy the long summer evenings without having to waste time in the kitchen (just a salad on the day)
- Curtain making and upholstery - remember the work books close sometimes as early as end October.
- Start exercising again, oh dear the winter makes me hibernate.
It is the sea that’s providing me with inspiration at the moment. It’s wildness, mystery and the sheer vastness of it.
The different shades of white, from the pearly sheens to the sun bleached and sand blasted, also the ever changing exquisite blue hues of the ocean. The natural shapes and textures of shells, coral, pebbles and driftwood weathered by the sun and the waves. Soft pale sea sand that pours as fluidly as hour glass sand and graceful sea creatures in all their splendour.
As August suggests: be inspired, do something new and fresh, take inspiration from our beautiful land and sea.
With love Laura